Q: Does Yankee Candle Company use lead wicks?

A: There has been a good deal of recent coverage in the media regarding possible health issues relating to candles containing lead wicks, some of which has unfortunately been confusing or misleading. In order to eliminate any concern or confusion on the part of our guests and consumers in general, THE YANKEE CANDLE COMPANY WOULD LIKE TO ASSURE YOU THAT YANKEE CANDLE DOES NOT USE LEAD WICKS IN ANY OF OUR CANDLE PRODUCTS. All of our products are today manufactured with pure cotton wicks that are free from lead and completely safe. At Yankee Candle we care deeply about the health and well-being of our guests and customers. After all, many of them are our own families, friends and loved ones. We are therefore firmly committed to producing high quality candle products that can be enjoyed and enjoyed safely. This has been our mission for over 30 years and we will continue to strive to offer the very best candles available.

Q: How can I keep my candles looking their best?

A: Candles will discolour or fade when they are exposed to intense light for extended periods. We do not recommend displaying your candles for long periods in direct sunlight, fluorescent lighting or other strong illumination. Wax will soften in temperatures over 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This may negatively affect the quality of your candles. Store your candles in a cool, dry place.

Q: Why do candle wicks sometimes become mushroom shaped?

A: When the candle is consuming wax more quickly than the flame can burn completely, carbon deposits may develop. This will most likely occur when the wick needs to be trimmed. Blow out the flame, trim off the wick and carbon deposit and relight. Do not allow the wick trimmings or other materials to fall into the wax pool.

Q: Do you have a candle that "eats" smoke or cooking odours?

A: All our fragranced candles will mask smoke or cooking odours. The Home Remedies range form YC contains a special patented formula that eliminates specific odours.

Q: Can I refill my jar candle when it is empty? Do you recycle the empty jars?

A: Because glass weakens as it accumulates bumps and scratches from use, we do not recommend refilling our jars for re-use as a candle. However, they make terrific holders for all kinds of things around your home: buttons, nails, cotton balls, potpourri, seashells ... whatever small collections you may want to display. Additionally, most local recycling agencies will accept empty Yankee Candle jars with other glass jars.

Q: How do I use Tarts® Wax Potpourri?

A: Tarts® Wax Potpourri offer you exceptional home fragrancing without the mess of traditional simmering potpourri. Place Tarts® Wax Potpourri in the top of a dry potpourri burner and never add water. Light one of the unscented Tarts® Warmers (never use scented tea lights) for a controlled low flame made especially for potpourri burners. When melted, the wax potpourri will release its wonderful fragrance. You can also mix different fragrances together to create your own unique blend of aromas.

Q: How can I remove candle wax from fabric?

A: Whenever available, we suggest that you consult the laundering instructions provided by the manufacturer of the tablecloth or other fabric. Professional cleaners are also valuable sources of information.

Q: How do you make your candles smell so authentic?

A: That's our secret! We actually have a committee dedicated to researching fragrances. Once the committee recommends a candle, a separate group of individuals from throughout our company test it for authenticity of fragrance and quality of burn.

Q: Which is your most fragrant candle?

A: Our jar candles contain the highest percentage of fragrance oil. More fragrance is emitted from our 22 ounce jar because the pool of melted wax it produces is larger.

Q: If I wanted to use my empty Yankee Candle jar for storage, how can I remove the metal wick base?

A: This is a relatively easy process. Once all wax is removed, simply pour in enough rubbing alcohol to cover the base and allow the jar to sit for a few days. The rubbing alcohol should soften the glue and release the base. It is important that you allow the rubbing alcohol time to work and that you don't pry at the base with your hand or any object.

Q: Why does it say to discontinue using the candle when a half inch of wax remains?

A: The glass can get hot on the bottom as the flame nears the base of the jar and most of the wax has been consumed. When this instruction is followed the glass will not get too hot. For your safety, we also recommend burning all candles on heat resistant surfaces, such as a plate or trivet